Its been almost a week since I have posted any recipe and I hardly find time to blog.. I am in Chennai,continous family functions,shopping, marriages and I am busy bee. Having so much fun with so many activities in and around.. No function is complete without traditional “Kalyana Vzhai Elai Sapadu” oh god!! Nothing can beat it:) My wadrobe is looking gorgeous! Have got a couple of Silk sarees and I am just freaking out! Enjoying the classic traditional attire!
Coming to the recipe – Chilli bajji rice / Bajji milagai rice is a simple and yummy rice variety that is perfect when you want to cook something in a jiffy on those days when you dont have time to cook/busy days or on those moody lazy days or if you have sudden guests then it just make wonders.. I am a great fan of this bajji milagai/ ooty milagai.. Bajji milagai has got alot of flavors in it!! I am sure other than MIRCHI KA SALAN or MILAGAI BAJJI we have not tired using this bajji milagai in other dishes.. I have tired making paratha,pickles and halwa with this bajji.. It tastes super delicious.. I will be posting the above listed recipes hopefully soon.. This dish is perfect for lunch box,quick dinner and ofcourse kids would love it.. This is a no onion garlic recipe,super quick and instant to make.Even beginners can try this recipe! If you have left over rice then it makes wonders. If have this masala powder ready then it hardly takes 5 mins to assemble. Here goes:
Preparation time – 10 mins /Cooking time – 15 mins / Serves – 4
Basmati rice – 1 cup
Water – 2 cup
Sesame oil – 2tbsp
Bajji milagai – 2 cup
Salt – as per your taste
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
To roast and grind:
Peanuts – 2tbsp
Channa dal – 2tbsp
Cloves – 2
Coconut – 2tbsp
Red chillies – 4
Sesame oil – 2tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2tsp
Urad dal – 1tbsp
Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – a spring
1. Wash and soak the basmati rice for 20 mins and pressure them in medium flame for 3whistles. When done,transfer the rice to a wide plate and add 2tbsp of sesame oil and roughly mix them. Allow the rice to cool down completely.
2. Heat a tsp of oil in a pan and roast peanuts,channa dal and cloves until golden. Grind them into coarse powder along with coconut. Keep this aside. Temper the ingredients that are listed under “to temper” table and keep this ready!
3. Remove the seeds of the bajji milagai and chop them finely. Heat a tsp of oil in a kadai and add in the finely chopped bajji milagai, saute them for a minute. To this add in turmeric powder and salt. Cover and cook them in low flame for 5-7minutes
or until it is completely cooked.
4. To the cooled rice, add in the bajji milagai, tempering and the masala powder. Mix them all well.
Chilli Bajji rice is ready to serve! You can serve them with roasted papad,vadams or even chips.. Cucumber pachadi / Dangar pachadi also goes very well with this.
1. You can make the same with the left over rice or raw rice.
2. Adjust the red chillies as according to your taste. Do not add cloves more than the given amount. Check the spiciness of the bajji milagai too.
3. You can make the masala powder in bulk and store them in refrigerator and use them whenever required. You can replace the veggies as per your wish. Make sure that you use dessicated coconut instead of fresh coconut when you are planning to store this masala powder.