Thiruvathirai or Thiruvathira or Arudhra Darisanam is one of the most important festivals celebrated during Margazhi season in South Indian and it is auspicious for Lord Shiva. It is of great importance and this year it is celebrated on 11 of January thisyear(2017). Kali with ezhu kari kootu,thiruvadirai vadai or thalagam always the best!
There is a story about how Kali came to be the neivedhyam. Sendanar, a devout follower of the Lord, would eat only what was left over from the food that was offered to the Lord. One thiruvadarai day in Margazhi he offered a humble repast of Pittu and Kali, with the regret that he could not offer anything better. The Lord was so pleased wtih his devotion, that he showered Sendanar with Pittu and Kali. Ever since that miracle occurred, Kali is made as the main offering to Lord Nataraja on this day. It is served with a kootu which has seven varieties of country vegetables.
We celebrarte Thiruvadarai in a grand manner and the reason is that Lalgudi Amman was born in our ancestral home..This is from my Moms side! So during, Thiruvadirai we make complete marriage seru for amman like making paruppu thengai,thiraitipal and whole night they make abishegam for Lord Shiva and early morning Kalyana Ustavam will happen. What I am writing is only a jist of it! I am in short of words to explain each and every happenings that takes place. It is divine and true bliss. You will be mesmerized!! So every year,each and every one of us in our family contribute and make this festival a grand one. Since I am in Dubai I couldnt make it everytime and my parents make sure not to miss this ocassion and ofcourse it will like a family get-together. We are big family and it is a fun to be with them. Although I might be missing them I do make sure to be in contact with them! Along with other seru,we also make Thiruvadirai kali, ezhu kari kootu and along with it special thiruvadirai vadai is also made for neivedhyam and the speciality of this vadai is that they are fried in ghee. Ofcouse this will be my next post. I am sharing few pictures that was taken last year..
And coming to the kali recipe this needs no introduction. It is a sweet dish and with ezhu kari kuzhambu and vadai it is out of the world!! The combo is divine. Usually they are made in “Vengala Pana or Uruli” and that too in a viragu adupu.. Since I dont have that I usualy make them in a pressure cooker. Instant and quick but no comprise on that taste. It is been a long post and not much delay,here is the recipe:
Preparation time – 5mins /Cooking time – 10-12mins / Serves – 2
Raw rice – 1/4 cup
Moong dal – 1tbsp
Jaggery – 1/2 cup
Coconut – 3tbsp
Water – 3/4 cup
Salt – a pinch(optional)
Cardamom powder – 1/2tsp
Ghee – 1tbsp
1. In a kadai, dry roast the rice and moong dal in low flame. Take care not to burn them. Allow this to cool down completely and grind them into coarse powder. It should be like a rava consistency.
2. In a pressure cooker, add in 3/4 cup of water and jaggery. Melt them and filter the impurities. Add the filtered water to the pressure cooker again.
3. When it comes to a rolling boil add in the roasted rice rava, 1/2 tsp of ghee and pressure cook in medium flame for 4-5whistles.
4. Once the cooker subsides, open the cooker and then add in cardamom powder and ghee. Mix then well.
Thiruvadirai kali is ready for Neivedhyam. Serve how with Ezhu Kari Kootu, Vadai and Thalagam.
1. The color of the kali purely depends on the color of the jaggery you are using.
2. If you wish, you can also top them up with roasted cashews. But it is done so.