Pongal is one of the most important festival that in celebrated in Tamil Nadu.. In down south it is much more famous and Pongal is usually made with newly harvested rice. During our childhood days, we used to celebrate in our native place and we celebrated in a grand manner. It is a harvest festival. The whole house is cleaned on the day of Bhogi and decorated.. On the day of Pongal we go to Cauvery,take bath and bring water from the holy river and make pongal with that..The other speciality of pongal is that they are made in a varagu adupu and that too in a vengala panai(brass cookware). Even now I make pongal in vengala panai but I dont get the authentic taste. Those days are always special and so nostagligic.. Even now, I celebrate the festival but I dont get satisfied with the festive happenings.. In this fast moving world, everything is changing and obviously we are changing!! Never mind but we celebrate auspiciously. That is more important!!
Coming to this instant sakkarai pongal recipe – This is a one-pot,super quick method and it takes less than 15mins to prepare the whole process. This recipe is perfect for Bachelors/Working Woman. All you need to do is just assemble all the ingredients in a pressure cooker and temper them with cashews. That it!! I have got so many request from my friends asking about the instant version of making Sakkarai pongal. Although I didnt post the recipe for traditional method I am sure everyone knews it! Never mind I will post the recipe soon on my blog..I have also posted the recipe for Aval Sakkarai Pongal which also can be made instantly. Here is the quick version of making it!
Preparation time – 5mins /Cooking time – 10 mins / Serves – 2
Raw rice – 1/4 cup
Moong dal -1tsp
Jaggery – 1/4 cup
Water – 1/2 + 1/4 cup
Salt – a pinch(optional)
Cardamom powder – 1/2tsp
Ghee – 1tbsp
Cashews – 5
Cloves – 1
1. Wash the rice and dal and soak them in 1/2 cup of water for 5mins. Meanwhile, melt the jaggery in 1/4 cup of water and filter the impurities.
2. Now to the soaked rice, add in the jaggery syrup. Mix them and when it comes to a rolling boil,add a tbsp of ghee. Cover the pressure cooker and cook them in medium flame for 7-8 whistles. When done,switch off the flame.
3. When the steam subsides, open the pressure cooker and mash the rice nicely. Heat 2tbsp of ghee in a kadai and roast the cashews and cloves until golden.
4. Lastly add in a pinch of salt,cardamom powder and roasted cashews add it to the pongal. Mix them well.
Super quick,instant,delicious,yummy Instant Sakkarai pongal is ready for neivedhyam. We usually have it with coconut slices.. The combo is divine!!
1. The color of the sakkarai pongal purely depends on the color of the jaggery you are using.
2. Cook the rice in medium flame. If you cook them in high flame the rice doesnt cook properly.
3. Raisins and edible camphor powder can also be added.
Wish You all a very happy Pongal!! ‘Pongalo Pongal’