Besan Kheer or Kadala Maavu payasam – A quick, easy,creamy,nutty and yummiest payasam / Kheer variety that can be made in less than 15mins. It requires very few ingredients that we always have in our home. Roasting the besan in ghee releases nutty flavor to the payasam. This Besan Kheer tastes best when chilled and ofcourse in winter you can serve them hot. This kheer is perfect for festivals, party and it is loved by one and all.. Making the kheer is little tricky. If the besan is not roasted properly then it ruins the entire taste of the kheer. If the milk and water mixture doesnt cook properly then the kheer turns lumpy.. So take. Make sure you roast the besan nicely.
Although I have made this kheer couple of times I have never updated the blog nor taken step-wise pictures. Today being Kaanu Pongal, wanted to make something sweet and suddenly got reminded of this easy-peasy kheer recipe. So quick and instant to make. No further delay – Do try this simple recipe and let me know how it turns:)
Preparation time – 5mins /Cooking time – 15 mins / Serves – 2
Besan – 1tbsp
Water – 1cup
Milk – 2cup
Sugar – 3tbsp
Saffron -15 strands
Salt – a pinch(optional)
Pista – 1tbsp(sliced)
Ghee – 1tbsp
1. Soak the saffron in hot milk and keep this aside. Heat ghee in a pan and roast the cashews until golden. Keep this aside. In the same ghee, add besan and roast them in low flame until it emits nice aroma and the color of which turns golden. Take care not to burn the besan.
2. Add 1 cup of water and using a whisk mix them vigoursoly without forming any lumps. Boil for another 2-3mins until it gets slightly thickened.
3. To this add in milk and boil them in low flame for another 10 mins so that it gets nicely cooked. Stir them frequently. Half way through add in the saffron milk.
4. When the milk has thickened add in the required quantity of sugar. Mix them well again and allow to boil for another 5mins.
5. Lastly add in the roasted cashews and a pinch of salt. It should be of pouring consistency and as it cools down completely it gets much more thicker.
Super instant and yummicious Besan Kheer is ready.. Top them with sliced pistas and serve chilled.
1. Adjust the sweetness as according to your taste. You can add any nuts of your choice. Normal sugar can be replaced with demerara sugar /condensed milk too.
2. Roast the besan until you get a nice aroma. If the besan is not cooked properly then the flavor of the kheer will not be good.
3. Do not add the besan than the given amount else the kheer turns like a custard.